Fairy Tales 2010

Friday, January 15, 2010

Introduction: William Yzaguirre

Well... Here goes...
Hi.
My name is William, and I'm a First-Time-Blogger...
Wow! It feels so good to get that off my chest...

Now that that's done...
My name is William Yzaguirre.
I am a Civil Engineering senior.
I am from Las Vegas, Nevada.
I am a member of Navy ROTC here at Vanderbilt as well as the theater and CHEERS and a bunch of other things.
My best quality is that I am quite possibly clinicly insane but am smart enough to be called "eccentric."
I'm really not as arrogant as I sound in writing.
I am a strong supporter of irony and satire and use both in everyday life to the detriment of everyone else...

I really don't think that I had to say all of that, but I am choosing to anyhow, as well as continuing to ramble about the trivialities that follow but no one is likely to care to read. Feel free to skip over it.

My primary motivation for taking this course is its relevance to my own work and interests. I am a writer of fairy tales and other forms of short prose typically. I also dabble in playwriting and other genres, but my primary literary medium tends to be the fairy tale or short story. I have taken up a project similar to many of the feminists of the 1960's and 1970's, trying to use the well-ingrained archetypes and plots to reassess and analyze our society's biases and beliefs. Typically, my project centers on the exploitation of the reader's expectations and desires in order to depict the emptiness of the world and the formulaic quality of literature designed for entertainment.
Primary motivation and material for my work often comes from philosophical principles and social commentary, the latter of which lends itself quite clearly to fairy tales on the basis of the firm hold they have on our society. I also enjoy adding a sense of psychological analysis (though I keep with the tradition of having flat, stagnant characters) of the characters and their motivations. It is my personal belief that the disparity between what people see as the real world versus what they see as the fairy tale world has so warped our society's senses as to become detrimental to our sanity, largely as a result of Hollywood. Thus, by attempting to reconcile the characters of my tales with those of a more pragmatic and realistic world, I seek to mend the wounds inflicted on modern society's psyche.
Perhaps some time later in the semester I will share one of my tales with the class or this discussion group.

Now that I have officially bored you out of your mind I will leave you in peace.

--William Yzaguirre

No comments:

Post a Comment