Fairy Tales 2010

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fishing

This actually has nothing to do with fishing, but I thought for a moment that it might be swell to divert everyone from the mundane, in which titles directly relate to the corresponding text. This project leaves me with the unfulfilled task, however, of determining exactly what to discus in this article—if not fishing. At first, I thought, "what if I were to discus the origin of the platter of food that I ate last night?" but then quickly realized that the dish I had consumed was a cedar plank salmon, which would require that I mention fishing and thereby defeat my purpose and bring my project to an end as a complete failure. Clearly, I had to find something else to talk about, which is when I decided to discus the means by which Eskimos or Inuit clans, whichever you prefer for I have no personal preference as to the identifying term used so long as it is understood to reference who it is meant to reference, acquire food and survive in such adverse a climate. There again I realized my mistake, since fishing is an important factor that I would have to discus in order to thoroughly and accurately cover the topic. From there I felt sunk, and then I realized the perfect topic for my discussion to avoid the topic of fishing: talking about my project to avoid talking about fishing and how it evolved. For that reason I have done as befitted my task, but I realize now, and with sudden abhorrence and dismay that I have again failed in my task. I am sunk. In talking about avoiding talking about fishing, I have defeated myself by talking about fishing in a self-referencing cycle that makes it impossible to avoid the topic. Although I am not actually talking about fishing, I have forced myself into an inescapable trap whereby I must speak about fishing in order to avoid speaking about fishing, and this paradoxical reflexive condition undermines my ability to successfully accomplish my goal. It is thereby that I have decided to completely dispatch my mission, leaving off at this unresolved state.

If you are asking yourself still why this piece is titled "Fishing" then wait until morning, and perhaps the bright sun will bring it to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment